Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Help me book


Help Conor expand his mind

I'll throw this one open to the floor. What books should I read? Bearing in mind that I'll read almost anything. Currently I am reading "The Raw Shark Texts" by Steven Hall, which I am enjoying. I picked it up because I liked the cover and lack of blurb (the back of the book doesn't really tell you anything about what may be inside), and then googled the author. The fact that he sited Murakami as one of his favourite writers was a good sign. He cited City of Glass by Paul Auster as his all time favorite novel (he'd also mentioned "If on a winters night a traveller" so I was really warming to the guy), so I think I'll read it.

Anyway, back on topic. What books do think I should read? I'll go off and read them and let you know. No footballers biographies please.

7 comments:

Sinéad said...

No footballers' "auto"biographies, eh?

Here's my first suggestion for you then: Welcome to my World by Coleen McLoughlin

Gerry said...

I picked up Moby Dick recently, it starts out very good. Looking forward to finishing it.
Started The Book Thief for the plane, and it's going well too.
If you've never read it, get Zen and the Art by Pirsig, it's a classic for a reason, and also On the Road by Kerouac is a must read.
An old favourite if you can find it (I have a copy if you want to borrow, and wear gloves while reading it) Futuretrack Five by Robert Westall.
You could always wait for Deidre Ruanes book.
And did I plug Jack the Beanstalk available on http://gainford.blogspot.com ?
Where is the right place to Capitalise book titles?

Conor said...

Coleen McLoughlin is out. 336 pages of shite.

Read Zen and the Art years ago. Not inspired by anything else (maybe Moby Dick)

Think I'll read Jack the Beanstalk. Like the title anyway,

goodurs said...

i just read Shopaholic and Baby. it was really funny. in fact the whole series is funny.

but if we're being serious... my favourite author is douglas coupland. generation x, shampoo planet, miss wyoming, all families are psychotic, and so on. he's not for everyone, but most people i know really like him.

Anonymous said...

Non-fiction: "Voltaire's Bastards: The Dictatorship of Reason in the West" by John Ralston Saul.

Fiction: "Julian" by Gore Vidal.

Totally Mental Rubbish: Any of the Jack Reacher books by Lee Child. (Essentially police/detective procedural books in structure except that when Reacher finds out what the deal is, he then goes and kills everyone - which is deeply satisfying in it's own way.)

Anonymous said...

second Jack reacher they really are terrible but very satisfying
Also detective wise any of the Ian Rankin Inspector Rebus books are entertaining

The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay i thought was excellent if the ending a little disappointing

Tietam brown is a bit of a head trip but i really enjoyed it

Non fiction I just finished the God delusion thought it was a horribly written book but has a good message

Ah also the last Wheel of time book will be out this summer so starting at book 1 now will have you up to speed by the time it is out

Anonymous said...

Hello. Read anything by Magnus Mills - I suspect you'd enjoy 'The Restraint of Beasts', a tale of high-tensile fence building... Nick