Thursday, July 17, 2003

The Chronology of Life.

Age 0, A nice young doctor prescribed me a life.
Top shelf, he said, doesn’t matter; They're all the same.
Have a job, car, house, kids and a wife.
In 70 years, you'll be back, to share the blame.

Age 10, Hulkster is great; my bike is cool.
After homework I play football with the boys.
Mommy says I'll be a doctor, if I work at school.
But I wanna be a fireman, 'cos I like the noise.

Age 20, Rock On. I live the lie.
I can be anything I want to be. It's my choice.
CEO, Musician, Painter. Don't care, I'll never die.
Party harder, drink more, live life, c'mon rejoice.

Age 30, Have a job, a car. Next a house, I'm told.
Twenties behind me. Growing more mature.
There'll soon be kids. Parenthood seems old.
But I'm still young and hip. Life in this dog, for sure.

Age 40, Just bought a shiny red Ferrari Ghost.
Not very practical, wife's lugging kids in the minivan.
Don't know if grey locks or bald patch annoys me most.
Job's going well, lots of money, I do the best I can.

Age 50, A friend from school died this week.
Really brought home that life is flying by.
My eldest will be leaving home soon, to seek
His own good fortune and new life. Softly, I cry.

Age 60, The kids came to visit last week, that was nice.
They're doing really well, success of my life.
I took early retirement, not sure if it was worth the price.
Back aches, hip sore, nasty cough. Worried about my wife.

Age 70, All alone now, and life is frayed.
Dear God, I asked, Why did you let her die?
I had a good run, did my best. Played
the hand the doctor dealt. I shouldn't cry.

Age .....
Dad's not here now, but he wanted me to say
Live hard. Make good choices. Be free. Don't waste a day.
Be sure to control your destiny. Make of your life
what you want, don't allow it to cause you strife.

No comments: