Monday, September 27, 2004

Only in Ireland - Traffic Management: Part 1

Is parking allowed on the side of a street in a town or city so that when the car is parked legally beside the footpath is the side of the car nearly touching the white line in the middle of the road.

I had the experience about 8 months ago when I was parking my car in Waterford city. It was a narrow road and cars were allowed to park on both sides of the road, no yellow lines in sight. There were already cars parked on one side of the road sticking out quite a bit. On the other side cars were also parked but they were up on the footpath slightly, basically so that they weren’t blocking the road from traffic, I was one of those cars.

When I arrived back to my car after a hard days work to my surprise on the windscreen of all the cars, including mine was a parking ticket for having my car wheels on the footpath. Bloody Hell! I was only being courteous in parking this way. I could have quite legally parked my car beside the footpath; no wheels on footpath, passenger door nearly out to the middle of the road, blocked the road completely from all traffic except bicycles and received no ticket. There’s no justice.

No comments: