Monday, May 17, 2004

Iarnród Éireann - We're not there yet, but we're getting there "Eventually"

Irish Rail have a program in place to upgrade the rail track system in Ireland to cater for higher speed trains this is referred to as OnTrack 2000.  According to OnTrack 2000 the upgrading of the tracks on the Waterford to Dublin rail line will allow trains to travel at speeds of 90mph.  These works are supposed to have been completed in 2003, but according to my findings they are falling far short of these
claims.

Distance from Dublin to Waterford               100 miles
Travelling time from Waterford to Dublin     2hr 35m
Average speed of Train                                 38.71 mph

But I hear you say the trains stops in Kilkenny for 12 minutes so that the engine can disengage from one end of the train and re-connect to the other as Killkenny is a dead end station, but even taking this into account we still only get a measly average speed of 41.95mph

The only reason I get the train to Dublin instead of driving is the simple fact, it takes me 1hr 30m to drive to the edge of Dublin, roughly 90 miles it then takes another 1hr to 1hr 30m to drive the remaining 10 miles and its that final 10 miles that drives me nuts and reverts me back to getting the train, where I can at least sit back and
watch some TV on my laptop.

No comments: