Wednesday, April 21, 2004

Fasten your seatbelts

The Guardian wrote an interesting article about a website that I read occasionally. Obviously the product of either a bona-fide nut-job, or someone that is alarmingly and knowingly sane, the rapture index attempts to give an indicator of what state the world is in, and asks are we [The World] rapture ready? This site has had a link to it for as long as we have been running, and I have been reading it longer.

What always struck me about the site, other then the absolute insanity of it, was its American bias. It is scathing about the rest of the world, ironically (in my opinion) pointing toward non-American countries being harbingers of the end of the world. Perhaps the author dismisses America because it is not mentioned in the bible (no, really it's not in the bible - check if you don't believe me), and heaven forbid that you may find a metaphor in the good book (again, no really, Heaven forbids it). Besides, America didn't exist before 1492, when God made it to keep Columbus occupied, and give bored Europeans something to do with their Sundays.

So I have decided to take a snapshot of the world as of today, to present to you “The Irish with a hint of European Rapture Index.” This will of course end me up on an ashen heap with boils on my feet while bible belt Americans are riding around on my camels carousing with my daughters; but that’s a risk I’m willing to take.

Explanations of categories can be found at the original rapture site here




01 Occult
Plenty of ads on TV for Tarot and psychics. Seem to adopting SMS technology for huge profit

05 Inflation
Euro caused massive inflation. Irish shopkeepers sniff bonanza

11 Leadership
Idiots content to live with blatantly corrupt leaders

17 Crime rate
102 year old man burgled 12 times. 75 year old daughter threatened

19 Globalism
Starbucks buying Bewleys; Fear of better coffee

21 Anti-Semitism
Sure that it exists alright. Can’t rightly form an opinion for fear of Mossad

22 Israel
Plain fucking nuts. Please don’t hurt me.

26 Nuclear Nations
America and North Korea to name but two. Ugh.

27 Global Turmoil
Yes. Lots.

28 Arms Proliferation
Sell them the arms, then beat them to death with them. That’s you George and Tony.

34 The Antichrist
I’ll love him and hug him and call him George.

39 Civil Rights
Voluntary removal of rights in US post 9/11

44 Food Supply
65% of Americans overweight. Obesity becoming a problem in China. More children overweight. Too much supply in the west, no supply in Africa.

No comments: