Thursday, April 08, 2004

Fatman becomes Actionman in Cairns

Today I'm doing a bit of nothing after my two previous days of action man stuff.

On Tuesday I did a days whitewater rafting down the tully river which was great fun. About 60 of us were driven the hour and half out of cairns, split up into these little 6 person inflattable rafts, given a guide, a paddle, and taken down the river while hitting as many rocks as possible, and chucking as many people out of the raft as the guide can. Our guide Nick The Prick, was exceptionally good at hitting rocks, and flipping the raft. All Good Fun. I was knackered by the end of it.

So yesterday we went out to the great barrier reef on a boat. The boat was a reasonably sized supercat thingy, but even still, because of the 20-30 knot winds the trip out to the reef was pretty rough. Once we got out there it was a little calmer, but still pretty rough for those guys who were doing the snorkling.

I was doing an Introductory scuba dive, which basically involves being told a load of stuff, fitted with a mask, flippers, and tank and jumping in the water. Well actually there's a dive master for each two intro divers and he/she basically leads us around under water and points all the little fishies. I think maybe we went down about 15 meters, but on the way down visibility is pretty poor, which can make everything seem a little claustrophobic, but once your down a few meters, everything is better, and there really is a huge number of fish going around the place.

After lunch I went down for a second dive, which was much better - mostly because I wasn't such a big girl, where we chased some massive turtle about the place, saw some 5 foot fish I can't remember its name, saw a massive barricuda fishy, and we actually managed to find Nemo in amongst some amazing coral. All in all great fun, but bloody tiring, which is why I'm having a bit of do nothing day today. That and the fact that I'm a lazy cunt.

No comments: