Thursday, February 09, 2006

Moebius Chair


Following on from the successful building of a Cloudbuster I have turned my attentions to building a Moebius Chair. This may prove to be a more difficult task.

Last time Michael was about (he is now gadding about in Rio waiting for some low-key Carnival festival to start) and helped build the vision. This time could be a harder sell, and some of the materials may be hard to come by.

What do I know about the Moebius Chair? Not a lot. I did find out the following:

Metron travels the universe via his flying Mobius Chair, an invention he created that allows him travel through time, space and other dimensions. Metron created the chair thanks to the X-Element, a rare substance he obtained from Darkseid in exchange for a matter threshold device which Darkseid used to devastate New Genesis in their ongoing war. Darkseid’s war atrocities caused a change in the formerly neutral Metron, who now dedicated himself to defeating the dictator of Apokolips.

A picture of Metron in action:

Lookit me lovely green chair

Now if Michael were about I would be trying to persuade him to drive me out to a scrapyard to get the couple of tons of steel that we’d need to build this machine and then a trip to Maplins and Peats to pick up some motherboards and capacitors. Suppose we’d need a soldering iron as well.

As to how the device actually works, that knowledge appears to lie within the brain of Metron himself, who may not be willing to share his discovery. However, I reckon Metron has given the game away by calling himself, well, Metron.

A Metron is:

The Metron is a unit of surface area used in Heim Theory and is analogous to the branes of string theory. It is approximately equal to the Planck length squared (h*h), or 10-70 m². In common language, one could best describe this area as "vastly smaller than anything we ever deal with."

Heim Theory is kind of a unified theory of everything to resolve incompatibilities between quantum theory and general relativity

So it also appears I'll need the help of a theorectical physicist. Perhaps Stephen Hawking is at a loose end? I hear he can be difficult to work with. Maybe I'll put up some posters in the physics block of MIT. Those crasy kids are always up for this kind of stuff.

Next on the list is some X-Element. I’ve had a quick scan of my periodic table and don’t see it. Looks like that I’ll have to get some from Darkseid. I know that he has already got a Matter Threshold Device, so there is no point trying to bargain with one of those. Perhaps there is a newer version with a camera and a radio that I can lay my hands on. Seeing as how Darkseid destroyed an entire world last time someone dealt with him I may have to tread carefully, or at least put my morals on hold.

So to make a list of things I need to do (Thanks David Allen!):

• Get a few tons of steel
• Get circuit, board & capacitors
• Get soldering iron and welding torch (and goggles)
• Order O’Reilly books: Programming Moebuis Chairs; Advanced Moebius Chair Hacks; Moebuis Chairs in a nutshell, second edition
• Get Stephen Hawking and/or MIT theoretical physics department on Board
• Negociate with Darkseid for X-Element
• Build and travel through dimensions in a skintight blue suit

I'll keep you informed of how I get on.

No comments: