Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Post IT Organisation

I have a lot to do.

I have a lot of tools at my disposal to help me organise my work: Email, Helpdesk, Tasks, Calendar etc.

Seems that all these are now full and contributing to the problem. I talked about this to the powers that be and got given "Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-free Productivity" which I read.

While not a terrible book he advocates lists, which you put everything (work, personal etc.) on to. From there, you work on them in order of importance, everything goes on the list, stuff gets bumped etc. If a task is small you do it immediately. It doesn't even make the list. In my experience if you have many, many things on you list, your list is useless.

I have taken all of this and condensed it into the "PostIT System (TM)."

In this I have a postIT on my desk containing all the items that I am going to do this week. Nothing else goes on the postIT. If I am asked to anything else it goes on my postIT for next week. Best of all, no one (except me) can add to the postIT. I believe that this is called task orientation, and it is how I have decided to do my work. It's either that or go crazy.

I am going to write a book on this when I am done, and give seminars and be rich. Watch this space.

No comments: