Tuesday, February 10, 2004

Holiday Post #1

In the first of what might well be a series of blogs on the topic, let me tell me you about my holidays. Given our current readership of about 6, there's a good chance that if your reading this, you already know about them, in fact you're probably pretty sick of listening to me drone on and on about them. From that point of view, consider that this blog is really doing its best to take a bullet for you.

In less than three weeks I get to disapear away from work for 8 weeks and do my best to forget all about how to program crap Java. With any luck when I come back I'll only remember how to code good Java.

Anyhoo, my tentative plan involves, flying to Bangkok on the 28th of February. Staying for a few days. Travelling by bus to Siem Riep. Visit the Temples of Angkor Wat for a few days. Travel by Boat to Phnom Penh. Loiter for a few days. Travel to Ho Chi Minh by Bus/Boat. Meet Kieran. Visit the Chu Chi Tunnels. Travel about the Mekong Delta. And perhaps depending on how time is, fly to Hanoi to visit Halong Bay and/or the Sapa Hill Tribes.

Mostly that will have taken about 4 weeks.

Then its on to Bangkok, to catch my flight onward to Sydney.

Its funny how the prospect of spending a week on your own in Cambodia will concentrate the mind. Indeed I seem to have read everything thats ever been written on the country, in preparation. Oz, on the other hand, doesn't seem quite as daunting. And as a result, I've done very little planning by any standards.

I know I arrive into Syndney. I plan to spend maybe 4 days. See the opera house, walk the bridge, jump from a plane, sail around the harbour, all the usual touristy stuff. From there I'm not quite so sure. I'd like to travel up the east coast. See Brisbane. Fraser Island. All the way up to Cairns. Think the Witsunday Islands are up there somewhere. By this point I imagine I could be a little knackered and have a few days of doing nothing pencilled in for Cairns. Maybe do some Scuba. I'd like to fly to Alice Springs. See the Rock. The Marbles. Then back to Sydney and off home. As I type this, I'm thinking that I've got too much on my tentative Oz schedule, but then I'm commited to nothing at the moment.

Then its back home, to write some more top class Java.

No comments: